Today I was surfing web and, suddenly, from nowhere SMART HDD, something I never heard of before, popped-up and started to scan my computer for errors. While I was trying to understand what’s going on my computer restarted and now all I can see is a black screen and SMART HDD window with many errors and to fix them I need to purchase the full version of the program. What do I do? Did I lose all of my files, pictures, videos and music? Help me please! How to clean my computer from SMART HDD Check? How to uninstall Smart HDD Check virus?
SMART HDD Check Infection Symptoms
Smart HDD Check is a rogueware that pretends to be a hard drive optimization utility. It was developed by the same team that made Smart Repair and Data Recovery and it will do exactly the same what they’ve done.
Once Smart HDD Check is installed it will launch itself automatically when you boot your computer and perform a fake system scan without user’s permission and will display a list of fake problems with hard disk drive and other system components. The objective of that is to scare users. Scared people will try to look for solution to fix their hard disk drive as soon as possible to don’t lose personal data. And the only available quick solution will be to purchase magnificent full version of Smart HDD Check, which can save your hard disk drive and your personal data. Attention, in any circumstance you should not buy this rogue software as this may lead to credit card fraud or even identity theft.
Here you can see some examples of fake scan reports:
Hard drive boot sector reading error
System blocks were not found
Error 0x00000024 – NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Error 0x00000078 – INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Error 0x0000002E – DATA_BUS_ERROR
Error 0x00000050 – PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
The DRM attribute value is too small before disk scan
Smart HDD Check is a rogueware developed with an objective to scare users with fake diagnostic reports and to mislead them into purchasing the full version of program. We can’t tell you from where it came into your computer but most of the times pcs are getting infected while surfing unsafe web content. Also, Smart HDD Check can be bundled with other freewares, so be careful when installing freeware from the internet such as video and music downloaders and converters or other free applications.
Once Smart HDD Check is installed on your computer it will display fake scan results and alerts, reporting that your hard disk drive in bad condition and you need immediately to fix it by purchasing a full version of the program. Smart HDD check has also hidden your files, folders and shortcuts and changed your desktop background. This way it makes users to think that they lost every file on their computers. Also, to protect itself from removal it changes system configurations and makes itself to start automatically when you login to Windows. Access to the internet might be blocked by this virus.
Using infected computer may lead to identity theft and other bad repercussions. So, hurry up and follow our guide below to remove Smart HDD Check virus from your computer as fast as possible.
How to remove SMART HDD Check (Virus Removal Guides)
On this page you will find an all-inclusive guide, which will help you to remove SMART HDD Check virus. Below you can find three automatically methods to clean up an infected computer and one manual method for advanced users. Please keep in mind, in order to successfully clean your computer you have to follow the steps and perform them in the correct order. If you are unsure about something or in doubt at any point, please stop and ask for our assistance in the comments below.
Step 1. Stop SMART HDD Check operation by entering valid activation key.
Step 2. Fixing your Windows system registry in order to remove SMART HDD Check virus records.
Option 1. Removal of Adware SMART HDD Check with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Option 2. Removal of Adware SMART HDD Check with Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Option 3. Removal of Adware SMART HDD Check with HitmanPro
Step 1. Stop SMART HDD Check operation by entering valid activation key
Smart HDD has invaded your system registry to launch itself before any application and to prevent you from running any other program. To solve this issue, follow the steps below to register Smart HDD Check:
1. When Smart HDD Check has finished the fake system scan click on “Repair Issues” button. You will be redirected to the product activation window. (See the image below)
2. On product activation window click on the “I already have an activation code. Click here to activate”. (See the image below).
3. The Smart HDD Check registration window now should pop-up. Introduce the below registration key to activate this fake antivirus program.
Smart HDD Check Product Keys:
4. After the registration is completed Smart HDD Check should now allow Windows to startup, and you should be able to launch your programs.
Please keep on mind that introducing the above registration keys will NOT remove Smart HDD Check from your computer, instead it will just stop the scans and fake alerts so that you’ll be able to complete this removal guide without being interrupted by this infection.
Step 2. Fixing your Windows system registry in order to remove SMART HDD Check virus records
SMART HDD Check has invaded your system registry to launch itself before any application and to prevent you from running any other program. Follow the steps below to fix your system registry.
1. First you need to boot your computer in safe mode. For that you need to remove all floppy disks, CDs and DVDs, and then restart the computer. When the computer restarts, press and hold F8. You must press F8 before the Windows logo appears. Using the arrow keys select Advanced Boot Options and hit enter. After that select to start your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Command Prompt allows you to type and execute commands.
2. When Command Prompt window appears, please type explorer.exe and then press Enter on your keyboard as shown on the image below.
3. This command will launch Windows desktop. When the desktop appears feel free to close the Command Prompt window by clicking on the X in the right top corner of the window.
4. Make sure you are using a clean (non-infected) computer and download onto USB flash drive or burn to CD the program below to fix your Windows Registry:
REGFIX DOWNLOAD LINK (Clicking on this link will automatically start the download of the registry fix for the SMART HDD Check virus).
5. Now you can plug in your USB flash drive or insert your CD into the infected computer. Go to your computer and open up the drive associated with your inserted media. You can access this drive by clicking on the Computer icon on your desktop or from the Start Menu. Once you opened the drive, double-click on the regfix.reg file and allow the data to be merged when you are prompted. Once the data has been merged, you can click on the OK button and then remove the removable media from your computer. (Look on the image below).
6. Please reboot your computer into the normal Windows mode and login to your infected account. SMART HDD Check shouldn’t bother you anymore with it’s fake alerts since we registered it and fixed our system registry. Please keep in mind that the virus itself is still on your computer. When your computer is booted please perform a full system scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Anti-Malware or HitmanPro as described below:
Option 1. Removal of SMART HDD Check with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
1.1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free(click on the banner below), double click on it to start the installation process. Keep following the prompts to continue with the setup process and press Finish when it is completed.
1.2. Virus Definition Updates – After the launch of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware the program may suggest you to update the virus definition database. However, if that didn’t happen we advise you to manually update the virus definition database. Follow the image below to proceed with updates.
1.3. On the Scanner tab, select “Perform full scan” option and then click on the Scan button, as you can see on the image below. Now Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will start scanning your computer for infections.
1.4. When the Malwarebytes scan will be completed, click on Show Result to see the list of threats that has been found.
1.5. After clicking on Show Results you will see the screen with all malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown on the image. Make sure all of the infections are selected and click on Remove Selected to clean up your computer.
Option 2. Removal of SMART HDD Check with Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
2.1. Download Emsisoft Anti-Malware(click on the banner below), then double click on it to start the installation process. Read the license agreement and select “I accept the agreement” and click on install in order to continue setup. Keep following the prompts to continue with the setup process and press Finish when it is completed.
2.2. After installation is completed EmniSoft Anti-Malware will be launched automaticaly. You will be prompted to choose between 30 days free trial period or order a full version. Choose your option and click Next.
2.3. Now Emsisoft Anti-Malware will begin to update it’s virus definitions and you will need to wait few minutes until the process is completed. In the dialog window you can see the progress of updating.
2.4. When the updates are completed you will be at screen asking if you want to enable PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detection. This option will help you to prevent a lot of problems in future. Select Yes and click on Next.
2.5. Next step is to select the Deep Scan option and then click on the Scan button. The Deep Scan option allows the program to deeply scan your computer for any kind of infections.
2.6. Now you will see the scan dialog box. It might take a few minutes but you are here to clean infections, it is worth the wait to make sure your computer is properly scanned. Please wait until the scan process is fully completed.
2.7. When the scan has finished, you’ll be able to see the list of all infections that were found. Make sure you have selected all of the objects and click on Delete selected objects to delete them permanently or Quarantine selected objects if you are not sure about first option.
2.8. Sometimes to delete the infection reboot might be required. Click OK to reboot the system. Emsisoft Anti-Malware will clean up all the infection from your computer during reboot process.
Option 3. Removal of SMART HDD Check with HitmanPro:
3.1. Download HitmanPro(click on the banner below), then double-click on it to start the program. Below you can find links to download the program for different versions of Windows, if you don’t know your Windows version we advise you to download 32-bit version of HitmanPro.
3.2. Now, after HitmanPro is launched you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to perform a system scan.
3.3. On the next screen make sure that option “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” is selected and press Next.
3.4. HitmanPro will start scanning your computer and will search for any Adware or other malicious files as seen on the image below.
3.5. Once the scan is done, you will see a screen with a list of the infected files that has been detected. Simply click on Next to remove these malicious files.
3.6. You will be prompted to choose between free 30 days trial period or purchase the full version of the program. Click on Activate free license to continue with 30 days trial or click on Buy Now to purchase the full version of HitmanPro to protect your computer.